Analytics

Monday, April 1, 2019

Struggle Song: Book 1

Struggle Song: Book 1



Cory Ballad
1









Success

At first
I was afraid
Did it anyway
2









Stubborn be Winning

I did not listen
Criticism arrived
I knew I was right
3









Moving Day

I cannot pay my rent
they kicked me out a month ago
Now I am back in it
I never moved my furniture
and now my ass is sittin'
on that couch that’s by the door
My forks are in the kitchen
My clothes are in the laundry room

Do not plan on leaving
I have no funds to relocate
Tell ya I am blue
I smoke all day  to elevate,
elevate my mood,
my mood up to the ceiling
I drink all night to alleviate
this pain that I been feelin'

Anguish it won’t leave me ‘lone

I wish I had a Genie
then I wouldn’t live this way
Strife is gonna kill me, 
kill me til I’m dead and gone


Tomorrow they’ll be back
cuz it a be cleaning day
They will find me waitin'
this nameless, faceless, homeless stray. 
4









When I Became a Writer

I picked up my pen
I wrote everyday

Then I was a writer.
5









MMI

I dreamed that I saw you
You were here with me for a time
For us to share the same space and energy,
Glorious.
Sublime.
I’m grateful my mommy visited me

Even if it was in a dream.
6









Persistence Pays Off

Its been a mighty long road
Many nights I had no sleep
Persistence pays off
7









Two Worlds

Some say I can’t do anything right
I’m cheerful,
I’m intelligent,
 but I’m not white

They say I laugh too loud and have too much fun
And ask why I’m not normal:
Complacent, silent, miserable and hopeless like everyone

Some say I can’t do anything right
I’m passionate,
and driven,
 and I’m too light

They say I’m not concerned with the right things
Like cars, and drugs and hoes with tongue rings
They say I’ll never succeed, just have more fun
And ask why I’m not normal:
Complacent, silent, miserable, and hopeless like everyone.
8









Torture Yourself


If I could stay out my head, I would be happier
but that would never happen
Misery isn’t that terrible.
9









Celebrate Yourself

If whatever you do is never enough for yourself
You may accomplish much, and be loved
by many

but feel worthless and alone inside.
10









Mind Free

When you do nothing
You do everything
Stop to think.  Clear your mind
11









For Doubters

They tell me
 I’m wasting my time with all this ,
“creativity”

I tell’em,
 “Well, I rather be dead!
Cuz I already am without it!”

Can’t you see?

I’m a mo’fuckin’ genius!

What’s wrong with creativity?”
12









Weariness

If you faint not
If you faint not
If your mind with criticism from others
you taint not
If doubt on your canvas
you paint not
If your sacred vision you restraint not
You shall flourish
If you faint not.
13









Weak Spot Courage Chant

Please give me strength
to write again
When darkness falls,
Still, I pick up that pen
if I fall,
I record the sin
Breathe-
take it in
Distribute my vulnerabilities
let them see
the true,
the inner me.
14









Cory Ballad 2019
15































































No comments:

Post a Comment